The Annual Meeting of the inhabitants of the Massena Central School District, qualified to vote at school meetings in said district, and the election of members of the Board of Education of the District and the vote for the appropriation of the necessary funds to meet the estimated expenditures for the 2020-2021 academic year and authorizing the levy of taxes, and the vote for any other propositions will be held on Tuesday June 9, 2020, via absentee ballot only.
In accordance with Executive Order 202.26, an absentee ballot will be mailed to all eligible voters of the Massena Central School District. At least one absentee ballot will be provided per household for the 2020 election. If any eligible voter does not receive an absentee ballot or if additional ballots are needed per household, please email the District Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 315-764-3700, extension 3008 and a ballot will be mailed to you.
Military voters who are qualified voters of the School District may apply for a military ballot by requesting an application from the District Clerk at 315-764-3700, ext. 3008 or email@example.com. For a military voter to be issued a military ballot, the District Clerk must have received a valid ballot application no later than 5:00 pm on May 14, 2020. In a request for a military ballot application or ballot, the military voter may indicate their preference for receiving the application or ballot by mail, facsimile transmission or electronic mail. A list of persons to whom military ballots are issued will be available for inspection by qualified voters of the District in the Office of the District Clerk on and after May 16, 2020, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. on weekdays until the election.
The ballot will contain the following items:
- Shall the Board of Education of the Massena Central School District be authorized to expend the sums set forth in the budget as presented, during the 2020-21 school year, and to levy the necessary tax therefore.
- To elect three (3) members of the Board of Education. Two (2) members will each serve a 5-year term commencing July 1, 2020 and expiring June 30, 2025. One (1) member will serve a one-year term commencing June 10, 2020 and ending June 30, 2021. The two candidates with the highest amount of votes will receive the 5-year terms. The candidate that receives the third highest amount of votes will receive the 1-year term.
- SHALL the Board of Education of Massena Central School have a high school senior student, who has been selected in accordance with Education Law, serve as an ex officio member of the District’s Board of Education.
- Such other propositions as may legally, and with proper notification, be brought before the voters.
A copy of the statement of the amount of money which will be required for the ensuing year for school purposes, may be obtained by any District resident beginning on Tuesday, May 26, 2020, except Saturdays, Sundays, or holidays, at the Office of the Superintendent of Schools during business hours.
There is no minimum threshold of signatures required for a nominating petition provided that any individual nominated must meet the requirements necessary to be placed on the ballot, including residency and age requirements. Individuals seeking a seat on the Board of Education may self-nominate for the seat. A nominating petition form may be obtained at the following link by Monday, May 11, 2020: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdfaX4CGV2v2wtZG-WNvXGmgsfPROKCIhMGtvJIObTKqLRwuw/viewform
Absentee ballots must be received by the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Time) on the day of the vote, June 9, 2020. A list of all persons to whom absentee ballots have been issued, will be available in said office of the Clerk on each of the five days prior to the day of the election, except Saturdays, Sunday or holidays.
A voter proposition initiated by the public will be placed on Page 2 of the ballot and shall contain the following items in regard to the Massena Public Library.
- Question: Shall the Massena Public Library be permanently established as a school district library for the benefit and free use of all residents of the Massena Central School District, such library to have seven Library Board Trustees, whose members are elected by the voters of the School District for terms of up to three years, and be authorized to raise $695,283, separate and apart from the annual School District budget, to support and maintain such library, said appropriation shall be raised annually by a tax upon the taxable property of said School District and shall be an annual appropriation thereafter until changed by further vote of the majority of electors of the Massena Central School District, and shall be levied and collected yearly as are other general taxes?
An election shall also be held to elect seven (7) members of the initial Board of Trustees of the Massena Public Library to initial terms of up to three years, commencing July 1, 2020 and expiring in accordance with the initial terms to be established for each elected Trustee by that Board in accordance with the Education Law.
Petitions nominating candidates for the office of Member of the Board of Trustees of the Massena Public Library shall be filed with the District Clerk of said School District via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax at (315) 705-2075, not later than May 11, 2020. Candidates run at large. Nominating petitions must be directed to the Clerk of the District and must state the name and residence of the candidate. The signature collection requirement for nomination as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Massena Public Library has been waived for the June 9, 2020 adjourned annual district meeting of the Massena Central School District by New York Executive Order 202.26.